Cutting Tools for Individuals with Hemiplegia
- The Ulu knife is useful for chopping fresh herbs
- Pizza cutters are also useful for cutting
- Single handed cutting board. Look for a cutting board that has a vise and stainless steel spikes that will hold objects so that you can cut them. Rubber suction feet that secure the board to the counter are helpful.
- Rocker knife helps cut meat and other foods with one hand
Opening Items in the Kitchen
- Unskru Jar Opener
- Ring pull can opener helps open cans that have a pull tab
- One Touch can opener that can be used with one hand
- Black n’ Decker’s Lids Off™Electric Jar Opener
Other Kitchen Tools for Individuals with Hemiplegia
- A good pair of tongs is useful for serving salad pasta, and turning things over in a pan
- Sandwich preparation boards have a section shaped like a triangle with a raised lip so the bread stays still while you spread
- Easy Butler Appliance Aid allows you to push appliances towards back of counter, then pull tray when you need item at front of counter
- Strawberry Slicer slice strawberries with one hand – looks sharp, so be careful!
- Dycem Mats grip on both sides of its surface and help keep plates and bowls from sliding
- Bowls with a rubber finish on the bottom will help the bowl remain stable on the countertop
- Medicine droppers usually have small increments marked on them – perfect for making small measurements
- Food Processors can make chopping easier
Remember to always supervise children in the kitchen.